Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Weekly Clutter Challenge, Week 5

First up, I've finished decluttering the first draft of my current work-in-progress. One of the more major casualties was an entire scene in the last chapter. That's the bad news. The good news is that it may be suitable for a sequel, should I decide to write one. I'm not throwing it away, I'm putting it in a better place.

Which brings me to my latest decluttering challenge.

I've been sewing since I was a teenager, and I've been saving patterns for years, storing them in a large wooden chest (one of the first things I ever bought for myself). As you can see from the picture below, there was a lot of wasted space in that chest.

The other problem was that the top of the chest doubles as a coffee table, so I'd often have to clear it off to get to the patterns.

I decided that not only would I cull the patterns, I'd put toys that my kids haven't played with for years (but which I have no intention of getting rid of) in the chest, freeing up other, more useful storage space on shelves elsewhere.

I now have fewer patterns in a more accessible space, while keeping things I don't use, but don't want to part with, in a place where they aren't a nuisance.

(Bonus points if you can identify some of the items in the chest!)

No comments: