Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Clutter Conquering Challenge

Ever watched Hoarders on A&E? Or Hoarders: Buried Alive on TLC? I confess to a morbid fascination with those shows. One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the way a hoarder will refer to all the things in their homes as "clutter." Usually it's more like trash than just a "disorderly heap."

I, however, do have a few "disorderly heaps" in my house, like piles of magazines neatly stacked in various places that I occasionally go through and discard, or various papers that need to be filed.

I've decided the time has come to try to get rid of clutter, so I'm giving myself a Clutter Conquering Challenge. I'm going to try to come up with a weekly goal to reduce clutter - and prevent it.

First up: I have areas of the house that seem to collect clutter, like the kitchen pennisula. Things come into the house or get dropped there and stay there for, well, too long. So this week's challenge is to keep the pennisula clutter-free. I cleared it off this morning, and my goal is to keep it looking like this not just for one week, but from now on. Wish me luck!

(See that the tall object on the mantle in the background? It's a Shakespeare nutcracker.)

No comments: