Monday, January 02, 2012

My Second Big Goal for 2012

This goal is, alas, a repeat of a former one. I stopped exercising diligently, ate too many sweet and/or less healthy foods, and now have the extra weight to show for it. Therefore, my second main goal this year is to lose 15 pounds (although 20 would be better) and 4 inches around the waist (although 5 would be better and 6 would be wonderful). Why not inches elsewhere? I have the sort of body where all the extra weight goes to the waist. Yep, the dreaded, unhealthy "belly fat."

How do I intend to meet this goal?

I hope to exercise every day. As I discovered the last time I set a weight-loss target, consistency is key. My main way to exercise is by walking at least 10,000 steps a day or using a treadmill we got for $40 at a rummage sale, powered by the walker. I have a Pilates ball and found that two different lifts using it are great for tightening and strengthening the abdominal muscles.

I won't have the treadmill at the cottage, though, (and have no plans to lug it down there), so I want to investigate a gym in the nearest town, and perhaps the local indoor pool. I also have a hankering to try horseback riding lessons. I fear, though, that the price may be too much for the budget, at least for this year. Still, worth a call or two, because it's something I've always wanted to do.

I let myself indulge in chocolate and cola over the holidays, and am now in a period of abstinence, save for the occasional treat and writing reward (sometimes you need a little something special after wrestling with a particularly difficult scene). Cola's a lot easier to give up in the winter, so now's a good time to start that. White foods (like potatoes, white rice and bread) also go on the special occasion list.

So far, I've lost a pound from my highest holiday weight, so I'm already on the right track. (Yeah!)

Getting a manuscript finished and submitted and losing weight are my two major goals for 2012. I have some minor ones, too. More on those tomorrow.

No comments: