Sunday, February 13, 2011

What I'm not doing for Valentine's Day

Ah, Valentine's Day - the one time of year the rest of the world pays attention to romance novels and their writers....

Contrary to popular opinion, however, I do not live for, long for, or particularly enjoy the orgy of "romance" articles at this time of year and here's why:

Mostly, they talk about/flog what I call the "props" of romance, in the form of gifts. Chocolate, jewelery, lingerie. Or the setting - "romantic" dinners by candlelight, in supposedly romantic places.

Essentially, we are told that love means spending money. Lots of money, or you don't care.

I ain't buyin' what they're sellin', either specifically or implied.

Give me genuine affection, respect and passion between two people. That's what I call romantic - and it doesn't cost a dime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, the most romantic thing that my husband does for me is put gas in my car. He knows that I can't stand the smell of gas, and in the 19 years that we've been married, I've only had to fill up the car myself a couple dozen times (like when I forget to tell him I need gas).

As for the romantic meal, I'm sure there will be something to eat tonight, but right now, I have no idea what, because I've been too lazy to dig through the freezer. And with five cats, two kittens, two dogs, and two kids, there will definitedly NOT be candles on the table.

We quit with the flowers years ago because we discovered the cats LOVED baby's breath, and ate it like popcorn. Also, vases tend to get knocked over and spill water everywhere.

That said, I don't turn down the candy he gets me for Valentines. After all, chocolate IS one of the four basic food groups.

Rosemary

Margaret Moore said...

I won't refuse chocolate, either, but it sure doesn't have to be the fancy kind. And I hate filling up the car, too!