Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mental Whiplash


Sometimes it happens this way - I finally get to the last third of the first draft of a book, where I'm back on firmer ground - because I always have a solid plan for the opening of a story and the ending, but the middle can be something of a mystery - and I get proofreading to do for the previous book. It's like hitting a speedbump. Even if you can see it lying in the road (because I know it's going to happen), it's still a bump. So that's what I've been up to lately.

Fortunately, in this instance, the first draft is for a sequel, so it's not quite the mental whiplash I experience when the books are set in very different time periods with very different characters.

Now back to work with me, because I haven't finished either.

3 comments:

Donica Covey said...

The "sagging middle" is always the hard spot for me. I hit that section during the FIRST draft and I'm stuck for weeks/months and in two cases, years.

Good luck with the writing!

hugs
Donica

Anonymous said...

Hi. At one time, I would have been reading several books at once. You know, one for the bedroom, one for the living room and one for the bathroom. It occurred to me as I read your post that I don't do that any more. Now I just carry the one book around, and then forget where I leave it.

As for reading in the bathroom, as a child, I thought everyone had a bookcase with several hundred paperbacks stuffed in it. Actually, my sister used to laugh about her second date with her husband. Our father was the director of the post cemetery at Ft. Leavenworth, KS. It just so happened that their second "date" was John coming over to help on Memorial Day. After a few hours of looking up gravesites and handing out maps and directions, John need to go to the bathroom. He came back shaking hos head. When Julie asked him what was wrong, he replied that he had never seen a bathroom with a six-foot-long bookcase before.

My past week has involved getting a new seat belt for my car (the dog chewed trough it several years ago), a new key made for my husband's car (I still don't know how I lost it, or my house keys, either), and getting enlargements of some photographs to enter in a couple of shows. This week is spring break, and the kids are home. I hope I survive.

How are the cats coming along?

Rosemary

Margaret Moore said...

Ah, the middle - always the hardest slog for me, too. I know I'll have a LOT of fixing to do with this story, but sometimes I just have to give myself permission to write stuff I know will probably have to be rewritten or deleted, yet serves the function of getting from Point A to Point B for the time being.

Cats are still at war. Well, more precisely, the Count is still afraid of Luis, and thus on the defensive. We're still keeping them apart, but letting the other into the other's "territory", letting them look at each other from their carriers, and being patient.