Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cat Wars

One reason I haven't been blogging is that I've been trying to establish peace between our feuding cats. What we have here is a classic case of redirected aggression. One of our indoor cats (Luis) get really aggressive when he sees the neighbor's cat sauntering under our front window and takes it out on his brother, The Count. Usually, one fight, and peace is restored.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case this week. The Neighbor Cat was seen on Monday morning. Monday afternoon, there was another pitched battle (and let me tell you, if you haven't experienced a full-on cat fight in your own home? Consider yourself lucky.) I think part of the problem was that Luis cornered the Count in a small space in the afternoon and he had a hard time getting away.

I did my research (because hey, that's what us historical writer types do) and separated them over night, shutting Luis in the laundry room with water and a litter box.

Alas, when I let him out yesterday, another fight ensued, so I kept the cats separated all day and again at night, alternating where they were, so that they would get used to the other's scent.

Unfortunately, the aggressive behavior is continuing. This morning The Count was in our bedroom with the door closed. Luis was at the door, so I opened it just a little. Hissing and howling from both began, so I closed the door.

According to sources on the web, this could go on for...months. I really hope not!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Yes, I have had experiences with real cat fights. Hissing, howling, growling, flying fur an all. Not a sight (or sound) for the faint of heart. I am currently treating Boeing (yes, just like the airplane company) for an abcess aquired in a fight with a neighborhood tom.

I am having an ongoing behavior problem with See-See. Even after rehoming Tippy, she was still peeing and urine marking on the kitchen counter. I do have low standards of housekeeping, but that is too much even for me. I have gone through more bleach in the last two months than I normally do in a year.

A trip to the vet uncovered a urinary tract infection, so she is under house arrest during treatment. She is either locked in the big dog crate, the bathroom, or is outside. We go back next week for a recheck, and maybe more drugs. I am hoping that antibiotics and possibly tranquilizers will do the trick. We had one cat that had to be euthanized a few years ago due to recurring bladder infections.

Have you tried the Feliway spray or dispenser? I am going to get a refill for mine, and maybe another dispenser unit. I haven't had to use it for about a year now, but I think it is time to start it up again.

Good Luck!

Rosemary

Anonymous said...

Hi. I forgot to mention one other aspect of cat fights. If an unneutered male is involved, it also stinks (mot as bad as skunk, but close). Be glad that yours are both neutered.

Rosemary

Maureen McGowan said...

Oh, dear!!! I hope they stop fighting soon.