Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Why Spock was sexy...

I caught part of a classic Star Trek marathon on Space on Monday. I'm dating myself here, but I remember when Star Trek was on TV for the first time. I was in junior high. And oh, the crush I had on Mr. Spock!

I was not alone. Apparently the adoration of the Spock character really took off after the episode where he got the disease that stripped away his emotional restraint. Yep, there was one passionate, wounded guy beneath that logical exterior. He was the epitome of the strong, silent type nursing hidden vulnerabilites.

Cue the swoonin'!

I note that his appeal was never about looks. It was all about restrained passion and hidden vulnerabilities. Emotional depth, not washboard abs.

That's one reason I wasn't too keen on the notion that he's had a relationship with Uhuru in the most recent movie. It doesn't go with my idea of Spock as a person who's been lonely for a long time, who wants to love and be loved, but is held back by his own (and his culture's) idea of how he should behave. Without that loneliness and vulnerability, I don't find the character nearly as fascinating.

No comments: