Monday, September 14, 2009

Where there's a will....

In addition to revising my work-in-progress, I had another revision to get started today: my last will and testament. I haven't had that done in over 25 years, so it was about time. And lots had changed - we had a second child and I got a new career as a writer, to name two of the most major.

Being a writer meant making a significant addition to the will, naming a literary executor in addition to general executor. The literary executor is in charge of everything to do with your published and unpublished works after you die. Here's a general explanation.

Talk about a different way to start my week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi.
Yes, it might be time to update your will. Maybe even past time. My husband and I should really update ours, also. There is a workshop coming up next month on lifetime care planning for special needs kids that at least one of us should go to.
Last year at this time, we were in Colorado, hoping that we had a house to come back to. Thank goodness the seawall didn't get topped, or fail. We turned out to be some of the luckier ones, with only minor roof damage to the house, and losing the carport roof. I am not too fond of hurricanes. At least this area has better plans in place than it did a few years ago.
Rosemary

Kimber Chin said...

The hubby and I are usually financially responsible but when it comes to wills...

We don't have an official lawyer sanctioned one (just a form will found on the internet). The hubby keeps hoping we'll have kids to leave stuff to (I'm 38, we've been married for 11 years, odds are slim but not zero).

And to plan not to outlive your parents... well... that's a tough concept to wrap our heads around.