Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Back-to-school cookies

Ever since my kids started school, I've baked chocolate chip cookies on the first day of the new school year. Today is no exception, even though my kids don't live at home anymore (sigh).

Here's the recipe I use. It used to be on the Chipits package of chocolate chips, but now they've doubled it. That makes sense, since the double recipe uses a whole 350 gm. package of chips. On the other hand, that's a lot of cookies.

MM's chocolate chip cookies, with my variations and comments:

Preheat oven to 375

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup shortening (the new recipe says you can use butter, too, but I never do)
1 tsp. vanilla (in the double recipe, it calls for 1 1/2, which means less vanilla. What's up with that???)
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt or less (I just sprinkle a little on, because too much salt is bad for you and I like my cookies soft.)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. I don't like to wash dishes, so I try to conserve wherever possible, so I measure the two sugars first and put in large bowl, then the shortening. Cream together. (This is the most tedious part of the process.)

2. Add egg and vanilla (taking a moment to savor the smell of vanilla and wonder what the heck bakers did before it) and beat into sugar mixture.

3. Measure flour, dump in but don't mix. Measure baking soda and dump on top, then sprinkle salt on top. Using the measuring spoon (see above re saving on dishes to wash), mix the flour, baking soda and salt together a bit on top of the moist ingredients, then stir in. (Easier than combining flour, baking soda and salt in another bowl and then adding!)

4. Stir in chocolate chips.

5. Trying not to eat the yummy, yummy dough, put in spoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 10 - 12 minutes. If you use a dark cookie sheet, they will bake faster and be crunchier than if you use an aluminum sheet. This recipe yields about two dozen medium-sized cookies.

When slightly warm or cool, get a glass of milk or cup of tea and enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty good. I remember one time, back when I was still working, that I whipped up some cookies using a mix. A coworker said "Oh wow, you made cookies!" I replied that, no, I had used a mix. She insisted that I had made
cookies. My response was "No, making cookies starts with with a whole list of ingredients, and the directions 'cream butter and sugar'.This was just adding two things, and sticking them in the oven."
I never did get her to see the difference between using a mix, and actually making cookies.
Rosemary