Thursday, June 25, 2009

Getting things done early

I rarely procrastinate. It's not because I'm holier than thou; it's because I hate the stress of a deadline rush. There's no joy in that sort of adrenelin overload for me.

There is a downside to being a get-it-done-ASAP person. I can wind up doing things that later turn out to be unnecessary.

And working with people who don't share this mindset can be extremely frustrating and stressful. That would be one of the reasons being self-employed works for me. OTOH, this would explain why being in the publishing industry, with its "hurry up and wait" tendancies and short turnaround times, can make me want to spit nails.

However, as Popeye would say, "I yam what I yam," so today, I'm baking and freezing cupcakes for our wedding tea later in July. I'll be thawing and frosting them the day before the tea. I'm also trying to get through a re-read of my ms. before the weekend and another wedding-related event. After I've gone through the manuscript, I'll be working on the third draft of this book, which isn't due until October.

I should confess I'm not normally this far ahead in the book-writing process. But I wanted to get a running start before the wedding hoopla got going, so I could enjoy both the wedding and the writing of the book.

So far, so good.

Now if only people wouldn't wait until the last minute to RSVP....

No comments: