Monday, January 05, 2009

Progress Report


It's now 4:15 p.m., and I've just finished writing the second scene of the day in my JaStoWriWee (January Story Writing Week). Here's my progress thus far:

Two scenes written. The first scene was nine pages, 1833 words. The second five pages, 1139 words. I'm not surprised the second one is shorter. One has a lot to do in a first scene. I suspect I've told too much. On the other hand, I have described almost nothing.

I discovered that if I don't want to go back and reread the previous scene (which with this particular challenge, I don't), I should write a bit of the new scene immediately after I've finished the previous one, before I take a break. Otherwise, I have no sense of what went before and have to regain the momentum.

It's weird not going back and editing, but very liberating, too.

I've also done an hour on the treadmill, made a couple of calls, started spaghetti sauce from scratch, and written a new blog post over at Story Seedlings. Murder by hedge clippers -- in 1717. And we think we live in violent times!

We'll see how JaStoWriWee goes tomorrow. I think it helps that I'm coming off a week where I didn't do much of anything except try to get over a cold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An hour on the treadmill? Wow, extremely impressive. Congrats on all the weight loss!

I just wanted to say that I'm glad that you are doing "Story Seedlings"...I think it's a fab idea, and I'll be keeping my eye out for new posts. I always read your regular blog, but I think new writers like myself can benefit from something like Story Seedlings. Much appreciated! :-)
-Jen Lazaris