Monday, December 29, 2008

What's Next...

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas/holiday. Due to a relative's medical crisis, ours was not the best. Fortunately, the crisis has passed, with good results, so we're very thankful that things weren't much worse.

However, I'm expecting the first six months of 2009 to be a little...bumpy. Last year was one heck of a roller coaster ride of a sort I was hoping I wouldn't see again, but alas, it does not appear to be in the cards.

So what does this author do when life keeps throwing curve balls?

I can't completely compartmentalize my brain the way some folks can, so the stresses will have an effect on my work, but it does make me feel a whole lot better to be off in the world of my imagination for awhile. So yep, I'll be writing.

I make lists of things I have/want to do, because stress = distraction, and lists help me focus.

I lean on my mom, my family and my friends. My mom is a great listener; my husband can still make me laugh like nobody else; my kids are wonderful and doing very well in their chosen professions; and I'm very blessed to have some writer friends I can confide in. Nobody else "gets" the writer's life and its unique troubles and concerns like another writer.

I'm going to keep up my Weight Loss Challenge. Christmas cookies and chocolate have caused a set-back, but I'm not dismayed. I expected it. I'll be setting a new goal, and keeping up the walking/treadmill work.

Most of all, I'm look forward to the good stuff that's already been planned, like a wedding in August and a trip to Italy in the fall. And I continue to cherish the quiet times and simple pleasures, like a hot cup of tea and a good book to read.

No comments: