Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Trusting Your Instincts...Or Not...

While on a long ramble yesterday, I picked up the new O magazine. There's an article there about Sissy Spacek which makes for some interesting reading - I didn't know she wanted to be a singer first.

However, it's another article that talks about following your instincts. Listening to your gut.

Here's the thing about that: We generally hear these sorts of stories from people who've succeeded.

But you know, I've listened to my gut/instincts and lemme tell ya, the G/I can be wrong. Very wrong. Because most of the time, they are telling me not necessarily what is, but what I want to hear.

Which means that I'm happier listening to my G/I, but not necessarily more successful in the way success is measured in the publishing world.

Just sayin'.



2 comments:

Amy Ruttan said...

Yeah I thought that article was interesting too. I loved Sissy when she played Loretta Lynn in the Coalminer's daughter.

In which she sang.

I really like biopics of the old country stars. I was forced every Saturday at my grandparents house to watch Hee Haw and the Grand Ole Oprey.

Lately I can't get a straight answer out of my G/I. *sigh*

Kimber Chin said...

Well, my gut is telling me to eat more chocolate. I think it has expansion plans. LOL

What successful people don't talk about is how many times their guts are completely wrong. Successful entrepreneurs average 17 failed businesses before getting one that works. 17 That's not a great track record (and a little crazy).