Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Eleventh Hour

Still on the TV thing, but a word about the writing: one of the things I have to work on with every book is maintaining the same tone throughout. That's not easy, because my writing's affected by my moods and what's going on in my life. But for my readers, it should sound as if I sat down one afternoon, started to write and didn't stop until it was all done.

This is the single best advantage for those writers who procrastinate (or let their ideas percolate) and then write their books in a white hot, intense few weeks.

I can't do that. I would be a stressed-out mess. So that means I have to work on creating a consistent tone.

Like I said, not too easy, especially when I keep going off on tangents. Seriously, what is up with that? Well, I have a clue, but still can't quite stop myself.

Now, on to The Eleventh Hour, which I watched because it has Rufus Sewell in it. I can't say this is the best role I've ever seen him in. That would be King Mark, in Tristan and Isolde, although he plays a heck of a good villain, too, as he did in A Knight's Tale.

(Note to medieval costume folks: the costumes are in Tristan and Isolde are wonderful and prove you can have pretty medieval women's clothing without making them look like something from Project Runway, as in A Knight's Tale. I had steam coming out of my ears watching that one.)

The trouble with The Eleventh Hour is that it just doesn't seem very original. I know it's based on a British show, but that's not what I mean. It seems too much like other shows out there, about mysterious deaths in small towns, etc. etc.

I'd rate the Mentalist over this one, although I'll watch The Eleventh Hour if nothing else is on because... Rufus Sewell!

No comments: