Thursday, July 10, 2008

If you need another reason to read...

although personally, I don't -- I find "Because I like it" quite sufficent -- but if you do, according to an article in today's Globe and Mail, "bookworms have exceptionally strong people skills."

Why is that?

"...because fiction acts as a type of simulator. Reading about make-believe people having make-believe adventures or whirlwind romances may actually help people navigate those trials in real life."

I find it interesting that romance was one of the two examples used here, although I have to point out that not every romance in a romance novel is a "whirlwind," just like not every romance in real life is a whirlwind. But hey, at least romance got a positive nod. As did reading in general, so YEAH!

If you like to cook or entertain in addition to reading? Check out Cheryl St. John's recipe blog, Ideas Come From Brownies. There's a pasta salad there I'm definitely going to try, as well as some of the sweet treats. And the latest recipe is sure to appeal to the hubby and son.

2 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

I read about some research that indicated a similar thing... The people who read fiction are more empathetic than people who don't. Bit of a chicken and egg question, I guess... But I like to think they are more empathetic because through fiction, they can see the world through other peoples' eyes better.

Cheryl St.John said...

Thanks for posting my recipe link, Margaret!

Smooches!