Thursday, July 03, 2008

Historical Fashion Parade


Continuing on with my list of books, and inspired by THE HISTORY OF UNDERGARMENTS by C. Willett and Phillis Cunnington, today's tour of the Margaret Moore library is about clothes.

So what else do I have on my shelves that helps me dress my people?

COSTUME 1066 - 1990s by John Peacock (This one's really good -- annotated illustrations that show the evolution of fashions, too.)

THE DICTIONARY OF COSTUME by R. Turner Wilcox (One of the first books I bought after I sold my first book. Not cheap, but very good. Also illustrated.)

EYEWITNESS BOOKS: COSTUME by L. Rowland-Warne (Illustrations, but also pictures of actual items and modern reproductions.)

DRESSING THE PART: A HISTORY OF COSTUME FOR THE THEATRE by Fairfax Proudfit Walkup (First, what about that name? Whoo-ee, I couldn't make up a name like that! More importantly, this book, while aimed at those making costumes for productions, has pictures, lists parts of clothing and -- really helpful -- talks about fashionable colors and fabrics of the times.)

One of the historical period notable for interesting clothes was the Victorian age. I've written five books set in the mid-19th century: (CHINA BLOSSOM, VOWS (set in pre-Civil War Massachusetts and the only one of my books set in North America), THE WASTREL (one of my all-time fav covers!), THE DARK DUKE and THE ROGUE'S RETURN. The last three are a series and Elliot in A ROGUE'S RETURN was a Romantic Times K*I*S*S hero). So it follows I have a few books specifically about that time period, too. They are:

VICTORIAN AND EDWARDIAN LONDON by A.R. Hope Moncreiff (Beautiful watercolor illustrations)

FAMILY LIFE IN VICTORIAN BRITAIN by Richard Wood

THE VICTORIAN VILLAGE by David Souden

It turns out I also have a few books about the navy, ships, and war at sea, so I'll list those tomorrow, along with a few miscellaneous books I've found helpful at various times.

2 comments:

Louisa Cornell said...

Sigh! I DO love THE WASTREL! One of my very favorites of yours, MM!

This is such a great help. What a wonderful list of research books. Now all I have to do is rob a bank to pay for them!

Margaret Moore said...

Or look for a sale, like I did! I don't mind paying a lot for a useful book, but I think it's better to try to get it from the library first. Some books that sound great aren't so hot when you get them.

Let me put in a plug for Abe Books, though. I found a treasure of a book perfect for Buggy's story and got it through them. It's called SPIDERS, MEN AND SCORPIONS and is a history of arachnology. :-)