Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Blogaliciousness

I don't spend a lot of time surfing the web (unless I have a research problem I'm trying to solve, like the parts of a mill -- there went several hours), but I do keep up with a couple of blogs. Some are about the industry, and a couple are writers' blogs.

First one I check is Romancing the Blog. Every day. I don't comment there, though, because...well, I would take too long writing and revising a comment. Really. I can't even write a grocery list without revising it half the time.

Yesterday the blog post included a picture of Batman. Replace his costume with chainmail and a surcoat and oh, baby! Can I have that on a cover, please? Pretty please?

Kimber of the Many Interesting Questions here blogs there. Her blog posts are likewise interesting and thought-provoking.

I'm amazed at some of things I learn about when visiting other blogs. Like the shenanigans that can go on with Amazon reviews, as recently reported at Dear Author. I had no idea the system could be worked that way. Live and learn, and sigh.

I generally hit the Smart Bitches Who Love Trashy Books blog. It's been recently revised to just "Smart Bitches, Trashy Books," I see, and I have to say, I find the new look a little too "busy" for my taste. I also have a problem with anyone calling romances trashy, although the SB's are, in fact, pro-romance. Ditto the cover snark. I've said it before, I'll say it again, that's like hitting ducks in a barrel. But they get the skinny quickly and often, and I enjoy their take on things.

This week, Romance Vagabonds is talking about Harlequin Historicals. I decided not to participate because I have a self-imposed deadline I'm trying to make. This is one of those times when writing time collides with the PR thing, and in this case, the writing took precedence. Well, I'm trying to do some other PR business this week, so it was a case of deciding that I simply couldn't do everything.

Harlequin Historical authors have their own blog as well. We are a varied bunch, I must say!

I get a kick out of the Misadventures of Super Librarian. For one thing, it's really interesting getting a different perspective on the publishing biz. For another, I can appreciate her love for the Detroit Tigers. I don't care much for baseball myself, but the hubby is a fan.

I don't visit too many writers' blogs because of time issues, but I generally check in on Drunk Writer Talk because (a) it's interesting and fun and (b) I know them.

Ditto Michelle Rowen's blog. Michelle writes books that are nothing like mine (paranormal) and she's at a totally different place in her career, and yet I still find plenty to enjoy on her blog. She's also not afraid to say when she's having writing angst, and I appreciate that. We all have those days; we don't all talk about them so frankly, though. And her template is cool, too.

There are more, but I don't visit them with the same regularity.

One blog I really miss is Miss Snark, the agent. She was refreshingly blunt about how publishing works. I would often have visions of Neophyte Author staring at his or her computer in horror as Miss Snark revealed The Tough Realities of Publishing. And I would think, "Sorry, Neophytes, but she's right. Welcome to the often wacky, sometimes wicked world of publishing." I hope you're doing well, Miss Snark, wherever you are.

And now there's this self-imposed I'm trying to meet, so to the middle ages with me! Yoicks, and away!

2 comments:

Kimber Chin said...

I miss Miss Snark also. She really added value to the blogosphere (as you do).

Thanks for the shout out. I was grinning at the insightful bit.

I was asked to blog in the role of a reader (indulging the fangirl in me). I'm not qualified to talk in all seriousness about romance writing so I consider it my role to lower the discussion back down to a lighter level.

Maureen McGowan said...

Thanks for including us, Margaret!!!

And what a great list of blog selections.

I know what you're saying about the smart bitches. I love that site... and the name is catchy, it just reinforces such a horrible image for romance.