Sunday, October 28, 2007

Armitage Aerobics

I've read many times that laughing out loud is a good workout -- good for the heart and circulation, and releasing endorphins.

I've just spent half an hour doing what I'm calling Armitage Aerobics with my daughter. The Armitage Army website has posted pictures from the first three episodes of Season Two of Robin Hood featuring Richard Armitage as Sir Guy and we've been laughing, sighing, shouting at Marian to stop being so stupid and go for Sir Guy, and lamenting when it looked like Sir Guy was going to hit her ("You can't do that!" cries Daughter. "You're not really evil!" He didn't.) We were also making our own sound effects, including the Scooby Doo "raaarh" when he seemed upset.

Since we don't have any idea of the stories that go with the pictures, we had a fun time coming up our own. Alas, I have to wait for the DVDs to find out if we were on the right track at all, but we sure had a good time.

One thing we've noticed, and it's really too bad. Is their costume budget about fifty cents? They seem to have to use sub-par materials, as if it's a high school production, and that's really too bad.

And we will not mention the fact that Sir Guy seems to be putting armor on over his bare skin. Well, okay, I've mentioned it. Much as I appreciate shirtless Sir Guy, no knight would do that. He would be wearing a padded jacket called a gambeson. Otherwise, OUCH! The chafing! Maybe he was just trying it on to see how it fit...but still, gambeson!

As I was bemoaning this, my daughter pointed out that historical accuracy is clearly not something they're aiming for. Therefore, she reasons, they should have Richard Armitage shirtless all the time. I personally think that would be too distracting. And for me, it's his face that I find most interesting. That man can say more with a look than many, and his glares are just what a glare ought to be.

And now, duly inspired, it's off to work with me. I do believe my hero is glaring in the current scene-in-progress. If not, I suspect he may be before it's over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm . . . would you believe me if I said I could relate?

The historical inaccuracies jar me greatly, but if it leads to chesticles and Richard shirtless for two-and-a-half minutes, what do I care?


LW